I’ve had a problem with Outlook Express for 2 days. I couldn’t get any new mail to appear. It would get the message count from the server and then error out. I looked on the Bell site for potential solutions, server alerts or config. changes. I guess I spent a lot of time so a tech chat session popped up. I said OK and the tech played around and re-checked everything I did. In fact by the time he left, I had another error popping up on all my old messages. He said he didn’t know and to clear out my inbox. Well I tried clearing it but I noticed some messages wouldn’t move but ended up duplicating. So I ran the folder compacting utility and that fixed it.